Standish Area Fire Authority responds to chimney, car fires
STANDISH — The Standish Area Fire Authority responded to a chimney fire on Worth Road on Sunday, around 10 a.m.
Chief Mitch Oliver said the fire produced only minimal damage at the house where it ignited and added there were no injuries as a result from the blaze. He said the fire appeared to be caused by creosote build up in the fireplace.
The scene was closed at about 10:50 a.m., Oliver said.
Monday, the SAFA also responded to a fire, this one in a car parked outside the St. Mary’s of Michigan Standish Hospital. Oliver said this fire, upon investigation, appeared to be caused due to a battery shortage. It was reported at approximately 2:30 a.m. and closed at about 3 a.m. He said despite the vehicle igniting, it was not totally lost, with most damage staying isolated to the backseat of the vehicle.
Arson is not suspected in either fire. No injuries were reported.