October 26, 2014

Small fire at hospital causes no major damage, injuries

By Tim Barnum
News Editor | news@ogemawherald.com
Posted

Share

STANDISH — A small fire broke out at St. Mary’s of Michigan Standish Hospital March 3, but no major damage of property or injuries to patients or staff resulted from the incident.

SMMSH Community Relations Director Holly Bender said the incident was minor in nature.

“It was limited damage,” she said. “There was no danger to any patients or our associates.”

Bender said the hospital’s fire alarm system was activated at approximately 4 p.m. Thursday.

“There was smoke and a few sparks in the autoclave mechanical room,” she said. “The smoke and sparks were immediately extinguished by turning off the power to the autoclave system.”

Bender added that the autoclave is a contained area for sterilizing surgical utensils. She also said the Standish Area Fire Authority was contacted as a precaution.

“We appreciate the assistance of the local fire department,” Bender said. “The fire department cleared the scene by 4:45 p.m.”

An electrician is investigating the area to see if an electrical issue caused the smoke and sparks at the scene of the fire.

Copyright © 2014, Sunrise Publishing. Powered by: Creative Circle Advertising Solutions, Inc.