Residents uninjured in structure fire at Pumpkin Farm
Firefighter suffers minor arm injury
STANDISH — A garage fire at the Pumpkin Farm in Standish did not cause any injuries to residents at the property March 23, but a firefighter was transported to St. Mary’s of Michigan Standish Hospital after slipping and falling on the ice at the scene.
Standish Area Fire Authority Chief Mitch Oliver said the fire was reported a little after 6 p.m. at the Pumpkin Farm, which is located on Bernthal Road.
Oliver said a state fire marshal investigated the scene March 24, and that the fire was believed to have started in a chimney in the garage.
“It was an accidental fire that probably started with a chimney fire,” he said.
The garage was a total loss, but no surrounding structures were damaged by the fire.
Oliver said the injured Standish firefighter suffered an arm injury and would be seeking his own medical treatment.
“He definitely was injured, but the injuries were minor,” he said.
The scene was cleared at approximately 8:30 p.m. after Consumers Energy arrived and disconnected power at the property, Oliver said. Wires from a power pole to the home came down while firefighters were on scene, according to Oliver.
“We were working around down power lines the entire time,” he said. “We had them blocked off so nobody walked over there. Power lines went right over the main part of the fire.”
The Sterling Area Fire Department, Pinconning Fire Department and MMR assisted at the scene. The Arenac County Sheriff’s Department assisted with traffic control.