Press conference gives details into Robinson’s capture


HOUGHTON LAKE — A press conference held by law enforcement officials at the Houghton Lake Michigan State Police post Monday, May 28, described how the weeklong manhunt for escaped inmate Everett Robinson came to an end.

Robinson, 29, of Standish, overpowered an Arenac County Sheriff’s Office deputy after a court date while being transported back to Roscommon County Monday, May 21. Robinson fled in the police vehicle for a short time before fleeing on foot with the deputy’s gun. He was captured at approximately 6:45 a.m. May 28.

“He was in an elevated deer blind sleeping,” said MSP Captain Bronco Lesneski.

Lesneski added Robinson still had the stolen gun in his possession and handcuffs hanging from his right arm. There were signs of bruising and injuries on Robinson, Lesneski said. He said troopers snuck up around the blind and when they entered, Robinson did not put up a fight.

“It’s a huge relief for us to know he’s been captured and no one’s been hurt,” Lesneski said.

Roscommon county Sheriff Randy Stevenson said Robinson was found in Nester Township, about four miles from where he escaped from the deputy transporting him. Stevenson said Robinson would he housed at the county jail after being checked out and treated at Grayling Mercy Hospital.

Although Robinson was allegedly spotted by a resident outside of her home last week wearing only shorts and a t-shirt, Lesneski said Robinson was wearing more clothing when he was captured. Robinson is believed to have broken into several hunting blinds, cottages and cabins, but Lesneski said police are unsure as to how many dwellings were entered into.

Lesneski said Robinson will face multiple breaking and entering charges, as well as fleeing and eluding and other charges pertaining to his temporary escape from custody.

“He’s looking at a variety of charges,” he said.

Lesneski and Stevenson praised the work of police officers from many departments and the Department of Natural Resources. Stevenson and Lesneski said police officers were working 12-hour shifts in the woods in harsh conditions.

Stevenson said surrounding counties were also very helpful in ending the manhunt successfully and safely.

“Almost every agency north of us was involved in one way or another,” he said.

At the time of the escape, Robinson was in jail for home invasion. He previously had served nine years for a criminal sexual conduct charge before being released in July.



Please review our community guidelines before posting

Please keep comments on topic and appropriate for all ages. Remember that people of all ages read our website. Those that are not appropriate will be removed. Please read our full community guidelines before posting.

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Copyright © 2018, Sunrise Publishing. Powered by: Creative Circle Advertising Solutions, Inc.