September 21, 2014

Omer sucker derby disbanded

By Kevin Bunch
Staff Writer | news@arenacindependent.com
Posted

OMER — The organizers of the Omer Sucker Derby have agreed to disband the annual event, announced Councilman Larry Daly at the regular Omer City Council meeting March 27.

Daly said he and the other organizers of the previous four sucker derby events met earlier in the month to determine the way forward after this year’s event was canceled due to lack of organizational volunteers. Ultimately, he said, they decided to disband entirely.

The group had slightly more than $1,100 in the bank for this year’s event, Daly said. Of that money, $500 was given to Mayor Alice Sproule to help fund Omer’s planned August concert event, $500 went towards the Arenac County Historical and Genealogical Society to help pay off the mortgage on Ye Olde Courthouse in Omer, with the remainder being donated to the Omer Little Eagle’s Nest Library.

Daly explained the decision to donate the money stemmed out of the idea of helping out the community, which was the goal of the derby originally. The group discussed leaving the money in the fund in case another group wants to come along and run the derby, but ultimately decided to donate the money now and let any future groups fund the event.

Daly thanked the people who volunteered their time to help put on the sucker derby events over the years.

“I want to thank everyone for their help over the past five years who had anything to do with it,” Daly said.

The Omer Sucker Derby was revived in 2008 after a 20-year absence, but vendor support dwindled over its four-year run, and the event eventually focused on prizes for kids.

Share

Copyright © 2014, Sunrise Publishing. Powered by: Creative Circle Advertising Solutions, Inc.