Martin files as write-in

By Tim Barnum
Staff Writer
Posted

On Sept. 14, Tawas Attorney Christopher Martin announced that despite a Michigan Supreme Court ruling that removed him from the ballot for a judgeship in the 23rd Circuit Court, he would pursue the position.

“I have an outpouring of support asking me to proceed; and I believe that the right to vote, run for and hold office and hold elected officials responsible for their actions is the bedrock upon which this country is founded,” Martin said in a press release.

He also says he feels the pressure to continue to run for office is due to the performance of the two incumbent judges, Ronald Bergeron and William Myles, and the injustice of removing a candidate from the ballot because of a Secretary of State error.

“We have two current 23rd Circuit Judges who have marked their terms by reducing their workload, unloading a large number of cases onto other judges; and who have openly stated that they don’t want to be ‘required to campaign,’” Martin said in the release. “The voters see that they have worked harder in an effort to avoid a contested election, than they ever have in their constitutional duties.”

Martin has been removed from the 23rd Circuit ballot twice. The first time was in April when due to incorrect information given to him from the Secretary of State, he failed to collect the necessary amount of signatures to be on the ballot. Then, last month, after being placed back on the ballot by 30th Circuit Judge William Collette, Martin was again removed by the State Supreme Court after an appeal by Bergeron.

The 23rd Circuit Court represents Arenac, Iosco, Oscoda and Alcona counties.

The candidate who receives the most votes will serve an eight-year term while the one with the second-most votes will sit for six years.

Copyright © 2014, Sunrise Publishing. Powered by: Creative Circle Advertising Solutions, Inc.