October 26, 2014

Centennial Farm Celebration

Dittenber Family
Posted

The family of Daniel & Julia Dittenber recently celebrated the designation of their family's farm as a Michigan Centennial Farm. This certification was made by the Historical Society of Michigan, with Consumers Energy providing the sign.

The original 80 acre portion of the farm was purchased by George & Elizabeth Dittenber on October 27, 1910. George was of German descent living in the Volga River area of Russia. He was an orphan who came to this country with his new wife, originally settling in Nebraska before purchasing the farm on Tonkey Road near AuGres. Electricity was first provided to their farm in 1937 by Consumers Power Company.

Their son Daniel and wife Julia purchased the farm from his mother in 1949, and then in 1974, grandson Dale & Trudy Dittenber purchased the farm land from his parents and are the current owners of the land. The farmland is presently enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP) with native grasses and wildflowers providing a natural environment for wildlife.

The house was first sold to granddaughter Mary Jean & Roy Leinaar and she later sold it to her brother Roger & Sandi Dittenber, who still live there. Therefore, the entire farm and all the buildings have been in the family for over 100 years.

Copyright © 2014, Sunrise Publishing. Powered by: Creative Circle Advertising Solutions, Inc.